Thursday 13 December 2007

Computer Geek ?

My first encounter with computer was when I was in Form 4 some 21 years back...at that time, I registered myself as a computer club member. The computer screen is "green" in colour and I cannot remember what sort of programme (DOS?) they are using then...though training was given but I never hooked up to it...so after a week, I dissappear from the aircon room.

Then...when Windows 386/Microsoft Office came into the scene few years, the computer programme becoming more interesting. In late 1993, I bought my first desktop computer costing me about RM3,600.00 (RM2k was given by my brother from his scholarship). A chaplang brand...mostly have Taiwan parts but it is a 386 Edition I. That time, it is a computer fever among the undergraduates. The computer retailer was making tonnes of money...imagine 5,000 students x RM500.00 profit = RM2,500,000.00 profitability shared among the retailers around BBB/Kajang.
This 386 helps me a lot and also my girlfriends (when you have PC, you are adored by many girls even boys as good as you have motobike or car in the campus..hehehe). In fact, it served me for full 3 years...then passed on to my girl friend for another 2 years...by then we sold to our junior for RM800.00.
When I started work, I have no problem in using the PC especially the Microsoft office programme except Power Point where I learnt from my colleagues at work.
My 2nd computer, a 486 2nd Edition came in 1998 where I bought at the same time from the same shop with Heroes costing RM2,800.00. This one is still going strong till today.
The 3rd one came in 2003, when I registered for my MBA course. They packaged it with the course fees (I guess it costs RM3,500.00). It is a Acer laptop, Pentium Celeron 2.00Ghz (see below)...and I am still using it .

Looking back at the pattern of owning computers beside know-how on computer programme...I do not consider myself as a computer geek but just as a casual user.

Last week, I have visited the IT fair in KL...I can notice that a lot of youngters (below age 18) are having laptops and further many are already expert in computer programme beside updating their hardware at every opportunity.

I was advised by my senior many years ago, one computer year is equivalent to 3 months of our human life. So, my 2nd computer is aged 36 years old and my laptop is sweet 16. The phase today may be even faster..

Computer will definitely continue to progress in this information era so must we...even my boss at the age of 60 years old (Asian standard) have to learn how to use emails (my dad is excluded...he is already 70+)...

I would expect my kids will be a computer geek as I planned to give them my PC for them to play around (got reason for my wife to upgrade myself mah...:)) as to give them an early start to computer world.

4 comments:

Heroes said...

I can't really remember when I first touched a computer keyboard mostly playing game I guess. It might be in my teenager time BUT the pc was not belong to me, it's william who was among us had a pc at home, so we used to play computer game at his house.

Are you sure, the desktop computer we bought in 1998 was 486 second edition? I thought it was Pentium or higher? Mine one had undergone repair and changed the entire CPU once but had sold to my ex-company for RM600.00. Hey, yours one don't forget to pack it nicely and I will collect from you anytime.

I had my first laptop same time with you when we were registered for our MBA in 2003. Mine one had been entered in my history book years back.

I bought a new laptop of Twinhead brand which cost me RM4,000.00 in 2005. It's a 12.1 inches with Intel Centrino, Built in WiFi, 3 in1 card reader slot etc. I am still using it til now.

William said...

The computer club is where I was introduced to computing. We learn basic programming which is the fundamental of programming language.

I remember beside the 6 networked computers with green screen which
I can't recall the brand now, there is an Amstrad with colour monitor. The Amstrad is reading from a cassete and there is a game where we could trade comodities.

I believe Sie Chiong can enlight us on the brand of the green screen pc. Some ATM machines operating now is also of the same brand.

My first computer is Amstrad 1512. That's the computer where Hero played the computer game.

Pat said...

The green screen machines were ICL :) ICL has since closed down.

I have just done a post on Amstrad, check it out.

mygreatbuds said...

Heroes, you are right!

It should be pentium II as I check it out this morning.