Tuesday 13 November 2007

Value of Coin

This snap shot of 20 cents is taken using my N80 Camera phone...quality is so-so as it does not have the zoom function.
Actually my main reason for taking this snap shot to remind myself of time really flies and also the threat of inflation into our life and need to review my income/expenditure account.
Description of the coins:
1) On the left - it is a 20 cents coin produced in 1967
2) On the right - it is a 20 cents coin produced in 2006 (cannot find 2007 though I have a 10 cents coin of 2007)
They are 40 years of difference...but still carry the same value physically. However, though the value of coin is the same, they are not able to trade the same quantity of goods (I am sure all of us is fully aware).
Back in 1967, though I am still not born into this world but I would guess the value of 20 cents is like RM2.00. In 1977, I remember that I could buy 10 pieces of sweets for the amount of 20 cents {I was in Rejang Kindi (between Tiong Hua Lo and Melian Han that time)}. Today, I could only buy 3 pieces of sweets for a 20 cents coin. This is real inflation !
Yesterday, I was having lunch with Heroes and for the first in my life, I have paid RM2.60 for a plate of kampua mee in Kuching (for sure...I will never go to that place anymore). However, after my understanding, many stalls have increased their pricing effecting this month...averagely today, we need to pay RM2.50...additional 30 cents from RM2.20 per plate.
Back in 1977, a plate would only cost 50 cents. So, if we allow...10 cents a year...after 30 years...it would reach RM3.50..so, the increase seems to be reasonable and still below the maximum range based on 10 cents yearly increase. However, if we work on percentage...it is a 600% increase..averagely a 20% increase on yearly basis...
Now, if we work on our salary...sincerely...do you get an average 20% increase yearly ? (If you do get 10% increase, congratulation, you are top in the group...20% yearly would be a triple jump every year and you are considered having the CEO materials...Entrepreneur of the Year (many I believe is only getting a nominal adjustment of 4-7% or some stagnant for the last few years since the last 2003 medium crisis.)
There have been pre-announcements by few ministers on the fuel price hike (as to provide expectation and to cushion the effect especially election round the corner (still remember DAP uses the last hike as political weapon in their campaign ?...a mindset game)...some is projecting as high as 70 cents a litre...so for my Inokom Matrix (1.6 litre)...normally I shall use about 45 litre per week costing about RM85.95 (current per litre is RM1.91). Thus with additional 70 cents per litre, I shall be expecting to incur additional RM126 per month (RM469.8 per month in total...sweating on my forehead already). If inclusive my wife's Waja, I need to pay additional RM189 (projecting my wife's petrol consumption is 50% less).
We may not be able to control much on this increase but need to be prepared and to adjust our lifestyle and expenditure so that we are able to maximise each of our 20 cents.
- For petrol : buy a special enhancer to maximise the power (so far have been able to cut down by about 15%), think/plan before driving to maximise usage, ensure tyre is properly inflated, do not carry excessive baggage
- For foods : cook and eat at home more often (per eating out with my family, I spent about RM30...), cut down on intake, call up friends for free drinks or foods :)
Search and look out for extra income...via capital investments, additional business opportunities etc..
What else...can I look out ? Be prepared to change...

No comments: