Tuesday 9 October 2007

Flamigo Flair - An Anniversary to reflect on...

Room No. 324 at Flamingo Hotel was my house/room in KL from 7th October 2006 to 30th March 2007, a total 175 days. Some of you may still recall clearly that I was on my secondment assignment to my head office operations for 6 months aimed for the following;

a) Corporate level exposure to handle bigger issues
b) Enable my Kuching operations to walk through during my absent so that succession planning could be carried out.
c) or exit plan (to some of my friendly competitors?

At times, I do felt that this was my first corporate sabbatical leave to sharpen my corporate thinkings (normally this only for Govt lecturers). I was clearly excited when I first step in the hotel as I shall be away for 6 months from my family since marriage. My wife was supportive though I know she kept her emotion intact as I am also sad when she is on business travelling for a week or two...(of course beside I have to care for my two kids...like Ah Tee, doing penance)
On 9th October 2006, it is my first day to work in KL office...a lot of expectation from myself and also my to-be colleagues of 50 people as I am positioned as 2nd man to my AGM-Underwriting. Just on the mails, my AGM instructed that all mails must be copied to me for my vetting and comments so as to ensure I am hand ons...wow...that is about 100 mails daily...whenever I took few days leave or back in Kuching to be with me family...I have to clear 400-500 mails... Meeting also enormous with average 3 meetings plus several SGAs.

The intensive activities actually provide me with a lot of energy to spend but when comes to evening or weekend when I am alone, I felt lonely and my time seems to be not moving. Therefore I would normally be the last few person to leave the office around 8.00pm to 8.30pm...unless on laundry day, I have to be back at my hotel at 7.00pm. Weekend, I will normally go back to office on Saturday at 10 a.m. then work through lunch till 3pm..after that shall be wandering around all the big megamalls. On Sunday, I will go the St. John Cathedral for the 10.30 a.m. mass, then again wandering around till 2pm sometime till 4pm.

There were ups and downs like in the ocean (but definitely more ups :))...and the most happy time is going back to Kuching for the few weekends as I planned on every alternate weekends (wah collect a lot of points, man...the cost is of course high but it is worth it (per trip is about RM500) and secondly would be with our old buddies in KL/Puchong/USJ. That is a life rejuvenating session.

Another secret, I actually started to be attracted to write blogs during my time in KL. May be due to loneliness (luckily did not spend time on cows...he..he.hhe).

When the time is up for me to complete my attachment, I was requested to extend for another month..well, you know I give no chance for my CEO to bind me as I mention to him that my family needs me dearly. He was actually not expecting me to be so firm as I could remember I was clearing my desk on the 30th March evening (Friday night)...he ask...are sure you are going back tommorow ? I say YES !

Wow, a lot things I can share...but I know if I proceeded it will be a book...but I can't, my alarm bell is ringing as I need to start my work as dad...for which I am already late to work...(FYI, Ah Tee shared with me...dad working time...on normal days is from 6pm to 8am + on calls and weekend and public holidays - 24 hours...Heroes, do think about it before joining the bandwagon...)

No comments: